Let’s start by defining the concept of viral marketing. After consulting several sources, I can say that the best definition, according to Dr. Ralph Wilson, describes any strategy that encourages individuals to pass on a marketing message to others, creating the potential for exponential growth in the message’s exposure and influence (practicalecommerce.com). It is important to note that this interaction must be from user to user to be classified as viral.
Top Five Characteristics of a Viral Campaign
- Easy to share: Not only do I talk about the option of sharing the video or image with other users, but the content is the element that promotes this action.
- It is adaptable to any social platform: When managing more than one social platform, it is important to be consistent with the content that is presented in each one of them.
- Quality Content: It is not just about image quality or sound. In the end, it is more important that the message is clear and honest. We can not forget that in social networks, the environment tends to be a bit more informal so that a strong content can counteract the lack of image quality.
- Keywords on the Video or Image title: Search engines do not have the ability to detect the content of a video or image, so it is important that keywords are used in the title.
- It must be funny, original, and/or emotional: Over the last few years we have seen how various viral campaigns have taken over social networks. These campaigns have at least one of these three characteristics integrated into your strategy. These three aspects have great value within the campaign because they look for different solutions to stand out from the competition.
Here are a couple of examples that contain one or more of the above characteristics:
Remember the ALS Ice bucket challenge? This is a great example of how a home video, with not very good quality, gives a positive result. Characteristics identified: Originality & strong content.
Undoubtedly, this video breaks with all the schemes and the perception that consumers have about a realtor. It’s funny and definitely original but, at the same time, it is informative.
Join the conversation! Share with us another success story with Viral Marketing.